Well,
I know I can't say that it's officially done or anything (far from it), but Mason is progressing steadily towards being potty trained. I can honestly say that I couldn't see it happening. I figured he would be 4 before he even got close to starting. But one day it was just his idea and he wanted to do it. You can try to dissect it however many ways you want, but he just wasn't ready until just now. I've had person after person tell me what I should be doing about it ("have you tried the cheerios trick", or "have you put him in pull-ups", or "have you thought about getting him excited about big boy underwear" etc. etc..) and to anyone who has put in advice like that to me I say thank you, but TRUST ME, I have tried all of those things and probably more things than anyone could have thought of who wasn't as desperate as I was. He's my good boy, and he finally wanted to do it. He's a very stubborn little guy, and I had to let it come from him. Because when he feels pressured, he will not do whatever it is that's being asked of him.
So we are about the happiest parents in the universe. When you get the news that your child has been diagnosed with autism, you realize that things like potty training are not going to be the same for you as they are for other parents. Sure enough, things have been horribly difficult, but we count ourselves lucky that Mason came around at all. Plus, he's not that far behind (if he is at all). I feel incredibly blessed and hopeful that if he can do this, he can do a lot of other things too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Woohoo! That's awesome! Hopefully the fact that he just all of a sudden wanted to do it means that the switch has turned on and he'll be totally potty trained before you know it. I thought the average for boys was 3 1/2 anyways, right?
Congrats on potty training! That's awesome he just decided he wanted to do it on his own!!
Hooray for potty training! Mason is going to be just fine and be able to do all kinds of things! But certainly being out of diapers is a nice one for you. Go Mason!
I would've given you that advice...don't sweat it. When's he's ready he'll do it! I've heard boys are in their 3's before getting potty training done too. I fussed and fussed with Cassidy and made it miserable, then realized it just "clicks" for them when they are ready.
Way to go Mason!
Hi....yay...I blog now too!~~ "me too"..xoxoxxo plz look at my cute princess tennis blog
http://jensprogession.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment