Sunday, February 27, 2011

What NOT to say to a pregnant girl

My little brother Steven is leaving on a mission in a few weeks, and we are all going to miss him soooo much! He is such an amazing guy and we are so proud of him. His farewell was today, and my family had over some friends and family over for lunch after church.

One of the people who showed up was a guy with his wife and son who have been friends with our family for a long time. So, this being said, the man (who will remain nameless) is totally forgiven and we still love him. The way the conversation went down was a little something like this:

"So Dawnie, when's your due date?"
"May 23rd"
"NO WAY! Are you sure?"
"Yeah, I'm pretty sure"
"That can't be right though because you are already so big and you're going to be like out to HERE!" (which he supplements by putting his arms as far away from his stomach as possible)
"Wow... Thanks. You can LEAVE now" (I said this very sarcastically so he would know I wasn't actually ordering him from the property but letting him know that he is a moron)

[note, this is the part where the poor idiot should have back peddled and apologized... But of course he didn't]

"Come on, I wasn't trying to be rude" (I promptly cut him off with)
"No, I know you weren't trying to be rude, it just comes naturally to men"

This was then followed by some more stammering where he tried to explain himself by saying how big I was and that that's the only reason he said what he did. So, realizing that his idiocy was not to be helped, I decided to give him an awkward side hug and tell him not to worry about it.


Now... as any woman who has either been pregnant or has two brain cells to rub together will tell you, pregnant women do NOT NOT NOT like comments about how big we are!!! JUST BECAUSE WE ARE PREGNANT DOES NOT MEAN WE DON'T CARE HOW WE LOOK!!! Take freaking note! So, if you make a comment about my body, it had d*** well better be one that is complimenting me rather than making me feel like a fat freak show.

Now, this post is not just directed at men. I have had a few girls comment stupidly about my body when I was pregnant with Mason. But, to celebrate people's stupidity, I thought I would list some of the stupid crap people have said to me when I was pregnant with Mason. This one today was the first one from this pregnancy, but both me and Mason were pretty huge when I was pregnant, so I got lots of idiots vying for my attention.

(a girl at church) "Wow Dawnie, you started showing like SO early! I mean you're really big!"

(a moron at the movie theater concession stand) "Woah, you've GOT to be having twins!"

(a zillion people at church near the end of the pregnancy) "You're STILL pregnant?! You looked like you were ready to pop a LONG time ago!"

(a bunch of men at church) "You're huge!"

And the one that tops them all by a mile and still makes me see red is the time I went over to a neighbor's house to show them Mason when he was 2 months old. The dad answered the door and said
"Congratulations. [then he points to my stomach and says] When's this one due?"


I don't think I realized how stupid people can really be before I was pregnant.
Now, even though this has been a mostly negative post, I will end with something positive by crediting my husband. Wynn has NEVER. EVER. Offended my appearance. Pregnant, not pregnant, PMS-ing, not showered, no makeup. No matter what my physical condition, Wynn is ever the gentleman and has never said anything to make me feel anything but beautiful. Wether or not I actually am beautiful is not the point. The point is that he's smart enough to realize that a woman needs to feel good about herself. I think this is due to the fact that he is a) smart b) has a strong sense of self-preservation and c) was heavily influenced by his older sister Marsha who taught him well. I am so incredibly grateful for a considerate and kind husband who knows that I am hard enough on myself that he doesn't need to make it any worse by pointing out things that I'm trying to improve upon anyways. If anyone else has any funny stories about morons being morons, I would love to hear them!!!

8 comments:

Heart Healthy Cooking said...

Hi Sweetie! You are so beautiful and so is your tummy!! xoxox, Mom

Erin said...

When I was pregnant with Milo, a single, nerdy guy at the check out said "so you're what... 8 months pregnant?" I was 7, so he was close, but I told him he was lucky and he probably shouldn't guess how far a pregnant woman is cuz she'll get offended if he's too far off. He then retardedly responded with "well, my older sister was pregnant, so I know quite a bit about pregnant women"

However, I felt like the dumb one one time. A customer came in one day and I KNEW she was due with in that week, so I said "tell me again when you're due" she responded with "oh, I had her 3 days ago" In my defense she didn't bring the baby, her husband was with her and I knew she was due soon, but still, i felt like an idiot.

Shannon said...

Ugh. People suck sometimes. I'm sure you look fabulous! I think the only really safe/appropriate comment to a pregnant woman is "You look great!"

I think the worst is when you get comments about being pregnant when you're not. I got asked when my baby was due about 2 months after I had Davin when I was at the salon getting my hair done. So much for trying to feel better about my appearance! Why don't people know that it is SO much better to say nothing. Anyway, hope you avoid more idiots for the rest of your pregnancy. Can't wait to see pics of your beautiful baby girl!!!

The Shraders said...

I LOVE THIS POST. I had was really excited because I was finally back up to my pre-pregnancy weight this past week. A very "loving" relative made me feel horrible for being excited and told me I should still watch what I eat so I don't get much bigger. But Zach is like Wynn...he always tells me I look great.

Also, when people point to my belly and ask me what I'm having, I'm going to start saying "uh...we're hoping for human...?"

And when strangers touch my belly, I'm going to touch theirs. And see how awkward they feel.

I have NO problem with people I know and love commenting on my pregnancy, but when did strangers get the right to act so intimate and personal with me? Does pregnancy give people a right to suddenly become my best friend in the check-out line?

The WB said...

BA, the best is when people tell you what to name the baby.

My philosophy is "well, last I checked you weren't there when it happened, so I don't think you really have a say in the matter. I'll make sure I call you ahead of time for the next one so you can be there…"

w

Julia said...

Oh Dawnie this post made me laugh...not at your expense, but just at how stupid some people are. You know you are ONE. HOT. MOMMA!!!

Preeti Ann Temple said...

Love you! This made me laugh so, so hard. I loved it because I could imagine you telling me the story. Ugh being pregnant is so miserable but I'm so so happy this baby girl is on her way!! I can't wait to meet her!

Anonymous said...

haha...loved that post! Right after Tony and I got married we were at some family thing and I was wearing a dress with a high waist that was kind of a babydoll style. Tony's grandma came up to me and asked if I was pregnant. I haven't worn that dress again :)